Duration: 3 hours
Number of students: 6
Pricing: $60 (vegetarian, vegan, pescetarian, gluten-free) per person
Price includes expert instruction, demo, practice and tasting of different types of salsa with blue corn chips and wheat or blue corn tortillas.
Cooking Class Menu Options (your choice of 3)
- Pico de Gallo — Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Salsa de Pina y Mango — Fresh Mango and Pineapple Salsa
- Guacamole con Pina y Pepino — Pineapple and Cucumber Guacamole
- Guacamole con Mariscos — Seafood Guacamole
- Salsa de Tomatillo Asado — Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Salsa Macha — Bomb of Flavors
The days when Tex-Mex was seen as bastardized northern Mexico food are gone. The distinction between Mexican and Tex-Mex food has actually been evolving for years and has even recently started to blur. Their recipes are full of vegetarian favorites — black beans, posole corn, avocados, fresh herbs, fruits, and vegetables. Both cuisines feature nuts and seeds in their traditional salsas and moles. These vegetarian recipes give you the protein and nutrients you need, and the Mexican flavors you love.
Block 1: Introduction to Mexican spices and herbs, chili peppers, types of salsas.
You will learn:
- Basic knife skills to work with vegetables
- Common basic and basic Mexican/Tex-Mex cooking methods and tools
- Specific for Mexican/Tex-Mex cuisine ingredients and where to buy them in Austin or on-line
- How to create and adjust Mexican/Tex-Mex flavors to your individual taste
- Wellness benefits of some ingredients and cooking methods
- How to organize Mexican/Tex-Mex cooking at home efficiently
- Sources to continue your culinary adventure
Drinks. If you’d like to enjoy your Mexican food paired with drinks of your preference, you are welcome to bring your own.
Appearance. Please make sure your nails are well groomed and clean. If you have long hair, tie it back or cover it. Have comfortable clothes and shoes. I’ll provide you with an apron.
Please, let me know if you have any food or kitchen chemicals allergies.request class