(Akinasu wa yome ni kuwasuna)
Don’t let your daughter-in-law eat your autumn eggplants.
Don’t let yourself be taken advantage of.
We all deserve eggplants in fall.
Duration: 3 hours (each block)
Number of students: 3-5
Tickets: $65 per person
Price includes expert instruction, demo, and tasting of three eggplant dishes of your choice.
Eggplants (or Aubergines in the U.K.) are prized in many world cuisines for its creamy soft texture when cooked and pleasant mild umami taste. Eggplants can be combined with a variety of vegetables, proteins, cheeses, spices, herbs, sauces, etc. Eggplant is one of the healthiest, low-carb, low-calorie, and nutrient-dense foods. No wonder, ancient philosophers ascribed all kinds of medicinal properties to eggplants. In India, eggplant is considered to be the King of Vegetables. It is mentioned in many Japanese proverbs as a good omen. We all deserve eggplants in fall! Let’s cook together!
- About localy available eggplant varieties
- Basic knife skills
- Key prep steps for baking, grilling, or frying eggplants
- Tips and tricks about cooking and serving eggplants
Block I: Cooked on Grill
- Tongue of the Mother-in-Law (Ukraine) [about]
- Eggplant Spread Odessa Style (Ukraine) [about]
- Eggplant Pkhali (Georgia) [about]
- Yaki Nasu (Japan) [about]
Block II: Cooked in the Oven
- Bademjan Levengi (Azerbaijan)
- Patlican Kebabi | Roasted Eggplant Kabob (Turkey) [about]
- Eggplant, Zucchini, and Tomatoes Tian (France) [about]
Block III: Cooked on Frying Pan
- Nigvziani Badrijani (Georgia)
- Mexican Chorizo Eggplant (TexMex/Mexico)
- Asian Eggplant with Garlic Sauce (France)
Drinks. Enjoy cooked during the class food with your favorite beverages; you are welcome to bring your own. Still water, hot coffee, and tea will be available.
Appearance. We will eat collectively cooked food. Please make sure your nails are well groomed and clean. If you have long hair, tie it back or cover it. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. I’ll provide you with an apron.
Please, let me know if you have any food or kitchen chemicals allergies.request class